6 small chat potatoes 4 eggs
200g green beans
250g Chinese cabbage (wombok)
200g packet tofu puffs (see note)
200g bean sprouts
2 tablespoons Asian fried shallots (see note)
Peanut Sauce :
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
140g (1/2 cup) crunchy peanut butter
165ml can coconut milk
2 tablespoons kecap manis (see note)
1 tablespoon sambal oelek (see note) or chilli paste
- Place potatoes in a saucepan of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil over medium heat and cook for 12 minutes or until just tender. Add eggs in the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Meanwhile, bring another saucepan of salted water to the boil. Trim green beans and set aside. Shred cabbage, then add to boiling water and cook for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon. Place in a colander and rinse with cold water. Drain. Place on a platter.
- Add green beans to boiling water and cook for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Place in a colander and rinse with cold water. Drain and place over cabbage. Add tofu puffs to boiling water and cook for 3 minutes. Drain, slice in half and place on top of cabbage along with bean sprouts.
- Drain and rinse potatoes and eggs under cold water. Peel potatoes, cut into quarters and place over vegetables. Peel eggs, cut in half and place over potatoes.
- To make peanut sauce, finely chop garlic. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add remaining ingredients and 125ml (1/2 cup) water. Bring to a simmer, stirring, then remove from heat. Makes 430ml (1 3/4 cups).
- Drizzle peanut sauce over gado gado and scatter over Asian fried shallots to serve.